Position Announcement: Reception and Facilities Director
The McKnight Foundation, a Minnesota-based family foundation, seeks to improve the quality of life for present and future generations. Program interests include regional economic and community development, Minnesota’s arts and artists, early literacy, youth development, Midwest climate and energy, Mississippi River water quality, neuroscience research, international crop research, and rural livelihoods.
Founded in 1953 and independently endowed by William and Maude McKnight, the Foundation had assets of approximately $2.2 billion and granted about $87 million in 2016. For more information, visit www.mcknight.org.
Designated as a Great Place to Work® for its high-trust, high-performance workplace culture, 100% of McKnight employees say they’re proud to work here. Employees love our mission and the chance to take on meaningful, creative work alongside caring, talented colleagues in a beautiful location with great benefits. In addition, McKnight has been recognized as one of the nation’s best workplaces for women and one of the nation’s best small workplaces.
The reception and facilities director is responsible for directing the facility, reception desk, and guest meetings and events functions of the Foundation. This position frequently oversees complex facilities projects. This position works with the VP of Operations to develop systems and practices and manage resources to work toward the Foundation’s mission in a manner consistent with its values and strategic framework.
Key Areas of Responsibilities:
- Direct and manage the facility, reception, and meetings and events functions of the Foundation.
- Maintain a safe and functional facility for staff, board members, Suite 602 partners, and guests.
- Plan and manage replacement, maintenance, and construction projects with the VP of Operations and owner’s representative.
- Evaluate the quality, timeliness, and cost effectiveness of vendors and contractors.
- Write, adapt, and implement operational policies, procedures, and other documentation.
- Provide capitalized asset documentation to the finance team.
- Develop and manage the facilities budget including fixed assets, furniture, equipment, supplies, and maintenance.
- Maintain the Emergency Action Plan and related systems and procedures.
- Provide leadership and supervision of the reception and facilities team.
- Directly supervise the meeting, event, and administrative assistant; reception and facilities associate; receptionist; and part-time receptionist.
- Establish individual and team goals, priorities, and performance standards.
- Provide day-to-day and collegial support and informal and formal feedback, including annual performance evaluations.
- Foster an understanding of how the team’s work participates in the broader work of the operations team and Foundation.
- Oversee and manage partner usage of Suite 602.
- Prepare license agreements, secure required documentation from new partners, and provide orientations to Suite 602.
- Respond to functional needs and concerns of 602 partners.
- Develop and implement policies and protocols to satisfy operational and legal requirements.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to work effectively and collaboratively across organizational functions.
- Ability to gain trust and influence across the organization.
- Ability to communicate effectively both interpersonally and in group presentations.
- Ability to manage complexity and ambiguity to consistently accomplish objectives.
- Skill in problem solving and analysis to identify key issues and find solutions.
- Ability to effectively develop and implement systems and procedures.
- Ability to anticipate future scenarios and develop strategies to address them.
- Skills in project and vendor management.
- Skill in developing and managing budgets.
- Ability to prepare clearly written summaries and analysis.
- Ability to handle a heavy workload, work independently, and meet deadlines.
- Experience in SharePoint site ownership and database development.
- High level of proficiency in Microsoft Office software including Word, Excel, and Outlook.
Experience managing complex facilities projects including relocation, remodeling, and purchasing or leasing space is highly desirable.
Working Conditions and Physical Effort:
- Regular lifting and pushing furniture, equipment, and supplies up to 50 pounds is required.
- Bending, stooping, kneeling, and crawling in order to access supplies and equipment is required.
- Occasional evenings and weekends are required.
- Limited travel may be required.
Applications accepted through July 17, 2017