Below are some questions and answers regarding McKnight’s Midwest Climate & Energy program (Climate). For more information, we invite you to read the Climate የፕሮግራም ስልቶች እና የትግበራ መመሪያዎች.
የእርዳታ አሰጣጥ ሎጂስቲክስ
Our team reviews proposals on a rolling basis, with September 1 as the deadline to be considered in the current year (applications received after September 1 will be considered in the next calendar year).
Within two weeks of receiving your application, Climate staff will be in contact with you regarding next steps. We will make a funding decision within three months of receiving your application.
2. What is the expected duration of a grant? Do you make multiyear grants?
McKnight typically makes grants for one or two years. We work closely with the requesting organization to determine both the grant type (general operations, project, program, etc.) and the grant duration. If you have questions, please contact a Climate የፕሮግራሙ ሰራተኛ አባል የእርዳታ ጥያቄዎን ከማስገባትዎ በፊት
3. What is your grantmaking budget?
The Climate program’s 2022 grantmaking budget is $32 million. Some of those dollars are already committed to multiyear grantees, and we expect to deploy roughly $3 million in new grants in 2023.
4. Will the Climate program allocate its annual grants budget equally throughout the year?
We do not allocate a fixed portion of grant funds each month or fiscal quarter. Instead, our team works to ensure that we make a meaningful amount of grant dollars available throughout the year. With respect to grant size, there is no advantage to applying earlier in the year versus later.
5. What types of grants are available—general operating, program grants, others?
The Climate program regularly invites both general operating and program/project grants.
6. Will McKnight consider program planning grants?
አዎ ለፕሮግራም እቅድ እና ለትግበራ ዕርዳታ እንመለከታለን ፡፡
7. Will McKnight consider funding research projects, or more direct services programs?
McKnight funds a range of activities, from community organizing to research, analysis, and planning. We also fund nonpartisan policy advocacy and implementation. However, we typically do not fund direct or human services.
8. Is it necessary to secure matching funding?
We look at an organization’s entire budget and appreciate when organizations identify diverse sources of support. However, we do not require matched funding.
With very few exceptions, applicants must be classified by the Internal Revenue Service as tax-exempt, nonprofit organizations to be eligible for a grant. Government entities, including state, county, and municipal, may apply for funding for innovative projects. We generally will not fund activities that are traditionally the sole responsibility of the government. Contact ኬሊ ጆንሰን, senior program and grants associate, who can connect you to a የፕሮግራሙ ሰራተኛ አባል ስለ ሁኔታዎ የበለጠ የተወሰኑ ጥያቄዎችን ለመመለስ ፡፡
10. If I have a fiscal sponsor, can I apply for a grant?
We do consider requests from fiscally sponsored organizations. Organizations, projects, or programs with fiscal sponsors should contact a የፕሮግራሙ ሰራተኛ አባል ከዚህ በፊት submitting an application for funding.
Most of the Climate program’s funding supports organizations based in the Midwest. However, we will fund national organizations that have a direct or on-the-ground presence in the Midwest. We recommend contacting a የፕሮግራሙ ሰራተኛ አባል ሥራዎን ለመወያየት ፡፡
12. Are you looking to fund more established organizations and projects, newer efforts, or a combination?
The Climate program funds a combination of requests from new partners and from organizations with historic ties to McKnight.
13. Will you fund intermediary organizations? What are your thoughts regarding funding community work at an intermediary level versus closer to the ground?
McKnight often works with a range of intermediaries with greater proximity to grassroots leadership. Accordingly, we welcome proposals from intermediary organizations. Intermediaries most often leverage additional grantmaking resources, provide grants and other capital, provide technical assistance within a field of work, and participate in and shape the systems that enhance the impact on the ground.
In addition to funding intermediaries, we consider funding requests that come directly from new partners that are closer to the ground and whose work advances our program goals. We encourage nonprofits to apply even if an intermediary in your region or community has already received funding, and we recommend contacting a የፕሮግራሙ ሰራተኛ አባል ሥራዎን ለመወያየት ፡፡
14. How does McKnight view proposals that are relevant to more than one program at McKnight, such as the overlap between the Communities program and the Midwest Climate & Energy program?
We collaborate closely with staff members in other McKnight programs, such as Arts & Culture እና ደፋር እና ፍትሃዊ ማህበረሰቦች፣ እና ከብዙ ፕሮግራሞች ጋር የሚያቋርጡ ሀሳቦችን እንቀበላለን። ያግኙን ሀ የፕሮግራሙ ሰራተኛ አባል በተሻለ አቀራረብ ላይ መመሪያ ለማግኘት ፡፡
We invite you to preview the application form (ፒ ዲ ኤፍ, Word).
16. Do I need to talk to a program staff member before I apply?
Yes, we recommend that you discuss your application with a program staff member. ኬሊ ጆንሰን ከቡድን አባል ጋር እርስዎን ለማገናኘት ሊረዳዎ ይችላል ፡፡
17. What if I’m a current grantee? When should I apply for new funding?
If you are applying for funding for the same purpose as your current grant, we encourage you to apply when your existing grant is up for renewal.
That said, we want organizations to apply when it makes sense for you. If you want to apply at a different time of the year than you have historically, please reach out to your program contact.
18. How many times can my organization apply in one year? If we are awarded a grant, can we submit another application for a different period?
To minimize work for your organization and help McKnight manage the numerous requests we receive, an organization should request funds once only per year.
Occasionally, circumstances, such as new opportunities or challenging current events, may present a reason to apply again. Contact a የፕሮግራሙ ሰራተኛ አባል ለተጨማሪ ጥያቄ በቂ ማረጋገጫ ሊኖር ይችላል ብለው ካመኑ ፡፡
19. Is there a maximum grant request?
There is no maximum request amount. We recommend that you discuss the level of support you require with a የፕሮግራሙ ሰራተኛ አባል before submitting a grant proposal.
20. Can grantees have multiple grants with you at one time?
ምንም እንኳን አጠቃላይ ማክበጃዎችን እና አጠቃላይ የአሠራር ድጋፍን የሚሰጥ ወይም ብዙ ፕሮጀክቶችን በአንድ ጊዜ ገንዘብ በአንድ ላይ የሚሰጥ የገንዘብ ድጋፍ በሁለቱም ላይ McKnight እና የገንዘብ ድጋፍ ሰጪ ሠራተኞችን ለመቀነስ የምንመርጥ ቢሆንም ደጋፊዎች በተመሳሳይ ጊዜ በርካታ ድጋፎች ሊኖሯቸው ይችላል ፡፡
21. What is the approximate timeline from submitting to acceptance of a proposal?
Within two weeks of receiving your application, Climate staff will be in contact with you regarding next steps. We will assign a የፕሮግራም መኮንን to each submitted proposal. That officer will reach out to discuss your proposal.
We will make a funding decision within three months of receiving your application.
22. If my proposal does not get selected, will you carry it forward for future consideration?
Proposals are not automatically carried forward for future consideration.
23. If not selected to receive a grant, will there be an opportunity to receive 1:1 feedback? What is the follow-up process?
Absolutely. If we do not accept your proposal, you are welcome to schedule a time to talk with a የቡድን አባል.
Contacting the Climate Team
As our team is growing, we are actively determining designated leads for each area. Please fill out this form, and we will direct you to the right person for your needs.
25. If we are new to the McKnight Foundation, who is the best staff person to talk with?
Please fill out this form, and we will direct you to the right person for your needs.
26. How can I stay updated?
የ የምዕራብ ምዕራብ የአየር ንብረት እና ኃይል የቅርብ ጊዜ መረጃዎችን ለማግኘት በጣም ጥሩ ቦታ በ McKnight ድርጣቢያ ላይ ያለው ገጽ ነው ፡፡