ከዚህ በታች ማክኬንትን በተመለከተ የተወሰኑ ጥያቄዎች እና መልሶች አሉ ደፋር እና ፍትሃዊ ማህበረሰቦች (Communities) program. For more information, we invite you to read the Communities የፕሮግራም ስልቶች እና የትግበራ መመሪያዎች, and view this informational webinar, which we hosted in December 2021, following the first year of the program.
የእርዳታ አሰጣጥ ሎጂስቲክስ
Our team reviews proposals on a rolling basis, with September 1 as the deadline to be considered in the current year (applications received after September 1 will be considered in the next calendar year).
Within two weeks of receiving your application, Communities staff will be in contact with you regarding news steps. We will make a funding decision within three months of receiving your application.
2. What is the expected duration of a grant? Do you make multiyear grants?
ማክክሊት በተለምዶ ለአንድ ወይም ለሁለት ዓመት ድጎማ ያደርጋል ፡፡ ሁለቱንም የዕርዳታ ዓይነቶችን (አጠቃላይ ክንውኖችን ፣ ፕሮጀክቶችን ፣ ፕሮግራሞችን ፣ ወዘተ) እና የዕርዳታ ጊዜውን ለመወሰን ከጠያቂው ድርጅት ጋር በቅርበት እንሠራለን ፡፡ ጥያቄዎች ካሉዎት እባክዎ ያነጋግሩ ሀ የፕሮግራሙ ሰራተኛ አባል የእርዳታ ጥያቄዎን ከማስገባትዎ በፊት
3. What is your grantmaking budget?
The Communities program’s 2022 grantmaking budget is $32 million. Because some of those dollars are already committed to multiyear grantees, we expect to deploy roughly $17.5 million in new grants in 2022.
4. Will the Communities’ program allocate its annual grants budget equally throughout the year?
We do not allocate a fixed portion of grant funds each month or fiscal quarter. Instead, our team works to ensure that we make a meaningful amount of grant dollars available throughout the year. With respect to grant size, there is no advantage to applying earlier in the year versus later.
5. What types of grants are available—general operating, program grants, others?
The Communities program regularly invites both general operating and program/project grants. In rare instances, we consider capital requests. If you have a capital request, we encourage you to connect with a የፕሮግራሙ ሰራተኛ አባል ገንዘብ ከመጠየቅዎ በፊት ቢያንስ ከስድስት ወር በፊት ፡፡
6. Will McKnight consider program planning grants?
አዎ ለፕሮግራም እቅድ እና ለትግበራ ዕርዳታ እንመለከታለን ፡፡
7. Will McKnight consider funding research projects, or more direct services programs?
McKnight funds a range of activities, from community organizing to research, analysis, and planning. We also fund nonpartisan policy advocacy and implementation. However, we typically do not fund direct or human services.
8. Is it necessary to secure matching funding?
We look at an organization’s entire budget and appreciate when organizations identify diverse sources of support. However, we do not require matched funding.
With very few exceptions, applicants must be classified by the Internal Revenue Service as tax-exempt, nonprofit organizations to be eligible for a grant. Government entities, including state, county, and municipal, may apply for funding for innovative projects. We generally will not fund activities that are traditionally the sole responsibility of government. Contact ረኔ ሪይ፣ ፕሮግራም እና የእርዳታ ተባባሪ ፣ ማን ሊያገናኝዎ ይችላል የፕሮግራሙ ሰራተኛ አባል ስለ ሁኔታዎ የበለጠ የተወሰኑ ጥያቄዎችን ለመመለስ ፡፡
10. If I have a fiscal sponsor, can I apply for a grant?
We do consider requests from fiscally sponsored organizations. Organizations, projects, or programs with fiscal sponsors should contact a የፕሮግራሙ ሰራተኛ አባል ከዚህ በፊት submitting an application for funding.
The Communities program is committed to working with grantees and partners across Minnesota’s cities and towns. We do not have a set funding breakdown by region of the state. We welcome and encourage proposals from Greater Minnesota and look forward to building funding relationships statewide.
13. Can you clarify terminology about funding in Minnesota? Must the organization be based in Minnesota, or can it be outside the state as long as it has programs applicable to Minnesota?
Most of the Communities program’s funding supports Minnesota-based organizations. However, we do review applications from partners outside of Minnesota who are working to support vibrant and equitable communities in our state. We recommend contacting a የፕሮግራሙ ሰራተኛ አባል ሥራዎን ለመወያየት ፡፡
The Communities program funds a combination of requests from new partners and from organizations with historic ties to McKnight.
15. Will you fund intermediary organizations? What are your thoughts regarding funding community work at an intermediary level versus closer to the ground?
McKnight often works with a range of intermediaries with greater proximity to grassroots leadership. Accordingly, we welcome proposals from intermediary organizations. Intermediaries most often leverage additional grantmaking resources, provide grants and other capital, provide technical assistance within a field of work, and participate in and shape the systems that enhance the impact on the ground.
In addition to funding intermediaries, we consider funding requests that come directly from new partners that are closer to the ground and whose work advances our program goals. We encourage nonprofits to apply even if an intermediary in your region or community has already received funding, and we recommend contacting a የፕሮግራሙ ሰራተኛ አባል ሥራዎን ለመወያየት ፡፡
16. How does McKnight view proposals that are relevant to more than one program at McKnight, such as the overlap between the Communities program and the Midwest Climate & Energy program?
We collaborate closely with staff members in other McKnight programs, such as Arts & Culture እና የምዕራብ ምዕራብ የአየር ንብረት እና ኃይል፣ እና ከብዙ ፕሮግራሞች ጋር የሚያቋርጡ ሀሳቦችን እንቀበላለን። ያግኙን ሀ የፕሮግራሙ ሰራተኛ አባል በተሻለ አቀራረብ ላይ መመሪያ ለማግኘት ፡፡
Though McKnight is committed to increasing its support to BIPOC-led organizations, we continue to fund multicultural, multiracial partners inclusive of all communities who call Minnesota home. In its first year, more than half of our program’s grantees self-identified as BIPOC-led.
18. How do you define BIPOC organization or BIPOC-led?
McKnight currently defines BIPOC-led groups as those for whom at least four of the following are true. Please check any of the following criteria that apply to your organization:
- 50 percent of senior staff* identify as BIPOC
- 50 percent of board members identify as BIPOC
- Organization has executive director(s)/leader(s) that identify as BIPOC
- Group mission explicitly focuses on BIPOC communities and/or racial equity
- Project and/or initiative is being led by majority of BIPOC-group members
- Organization is implementing DEI initiatives and navigating organizational transition for greater equity in programming/operations
*We define senior staff as staff with decision-making authority or management responsibility with the organization.
19. Will you consider proposals that address community equity and climate solutions in tandem?
Yes, we welcome proposals that intersect with multiple McKnight program areas. Please contact a የፕሮግራሙ ሰራተኛ አባል to discuss your work and for guidance on submitting an application.
21. Do I need to talk to a program staff member before I apply?
22. What if I’m a current grantee? When should I apply for new funding?
If you are applying for funding for the same purpose as your current grant, we encourage you to apply when your existing grant is up for renewal.
That said, we want organizations to apply when it makes sense for you. If you want to apply at a different time of the year than you have historically, please reach out to your program contact.
23. How many times can my organization apply in one year? If we are awarded a grant, can we submit another application for a different period?
To minimize work for your organization and help McKnight manage the numerous requests we receive, an organization should request funds once only per year.
Occasionally, circumstances, such as new opportunities or challenging current events, may present a reason to apply again. Contact a የፕሮግራሙ ሰራተኛ አባል ለተጨማሪ ጥያቄ በቂ ማረጋገጫ ሊኖር ይችላል ብለው ካመኑ ፡፡
24. Is there a maximum grant request?
There is no maximum request amount. We recommend that you discuss the level of support you require with a የፕሮግራሙ ሰራተኛ አባል before submitting a grant proposal.
25. Can grantees have multiple grants with you at one time?
ምንም እንኳን አጠቃላይ ማክበጃዎችን እና አጠቃላይ የአሠራር ድጋፍን የሚሰጥ ወይም ብዙ ፕሮጀክቶችን በአንድ ጊዜ ገንዘብ በአንድ ላይ የሚሰጥ የገንዘብ ድጋፍ በሁለቱም ላይ McKnight እና የገንዘብ ድጋፍ ሰጪ ሠራተኞችን ለመቀነስ የምንመርጥ ቢሆንም ደጋፊዎች በተመሳሳይ ጊዜ በርካታ ድጋፎች ሊኖሯቸው ይችላል ፡፡
26. What is the approximate timeline from submitting to acceptance of a proposal?
Within two weeks of receiving your application, Communities staff will be in contact with you regarding next steps. We will assign a የፕሮግራም መኮንን to each submitted proposal. That officer will reach out to discuss your proposal.
We will make a funding decision within three months of receiving your application.
27. If my proposal does not get selected, will you carry it forward for future consideration?
Proposals are not automatically carried forward for future consideration.
28. If not selected to receive a grant, will there be an opportunity to receive 1:1 feedback? What is the follow-up process?
Absolutely. If we do not accept your proposal, you are welcome to schedule a time to talk with a የቡድን አባል.
Contacting the Communities Team
At this point, there is not a designated staff member for each area. The Communities team as a whole reviews grants across all strategies.
30. If we are new to the McKnight Foundation, who is the best staff person to talk with?
እባክዎ ያነጋግሩ ረኔ ሪይ እና ለእርስዎ ፍላጎት ወደ ትክክለኛው ሰው ትመራዎታለች ፡፡
31. How can I stay updated?
የ ደፋር እና ፍትሃዊ ማህበረሰቦች የቅርብ ጊዜ መረጃዎችን ለማግኘት በጣም ጥሩ ቦታ በ McKnight ድርጣቢያ ላይ ያለው ገጽ ነው ፡፡