ከዚህ በታች ማክኬንትን በተመለከተ የተወሰኑ ጥያቄዎች እና መልሶች አሉ ደፋር እና ፍትሃዊ ማህበረሰቦች (Communities) program. For more information, we invite you to read the Communities የፕሮግራም ስልቶች እና የትግበራ መመሪያዎች, ሀnd view this መረጃዊ ድርጣቢያ, which we hosted in December 2021, following the first year of the program.
የእርዳታ አሰጣጥ ሎጂስቲክስ
Our team reviews inquiries and invites proposals quarterly. Inquiries are due January 15, April 15, July 15, and October 15. We are currently accepting inquiries for the October funding round. Inquiries that advance to the full proposal stage this round will be considered at our February 2022 board meeting.
2. What is the expected duration of a grant? Do you make multiyear grants?
ማክክሊት በተለምዶ ለአንድ ወይም ለሁለት ዓመት ድጎማ ያደርጋል ፡፡ ሁለቱንም የዕርዳታ ዓይነቶችን (አጠቃላይ ክንውኖችን ፣ ፕሮጀክቶችን ፣ ፕሮግራሞችን ፣ ወዘተ) እና የዕርዳታ ጊዜውን ለመወሰን ከጠያቂው ድርጅት ጋር በቅርበት እንሠራለን ፡፡ ጥያቄዎች ካሉዎት እባክዎ ያነጋግሩ ሀ የፕሮግራሙ ሰራተኛ አባል የእርዳታ ጥያቄዎን ከማስገባትዎ በፊት
3. What is your grantmaking budget?
The Communities program’s 2022 grantmaking budget is $32 million. Because some of those dollars are already committed to multiyear grantees, we expect to deploy roughly $17.5 million in new grants in 2022.
4. Will McKnight allocate the $15 million grants budget equally across the four grant cycles?
We do not allocate a fixed portion of grant funds each quarter. Instead, our team works to ensure that we make a meaningful amount of grant dollars available each quarter. With respect to grant size, there is no advantage to applying earlier in the year versus later.
5. What types of grants are available—general operating, program grants, others?
The Communities program regularly invites both general operating and program/project grants. In rare instances, we consider capital requests. If you have a capital request, we encourage you to connect with a የፕሮግራሙ ሰራተኛ አባል ገንዘብ ከመጠየቅዎ በፊት ቢያንስ ከስድስት ወር በፊት ፡፡
6. Will McKnight consider program planning grants?
አዎ ለፕሮግራም እቅድ እና ለትግበራ ዕርዳታ እንመለከታለን ፡፡
7. Will McKnight consider funding research projects, or more direct services programs?
McKnight funds a range of activities, from community organizing to research, analysis, and planning. We also fund nonpartisan policy advocacy and implementation. However, we typically do not fund direct or human services.
8. Is it necessary to secure matching funding?
We look at an organization’s entire budget and appreciate when organizations identify diverse sources of support. However, we do not require matched funding.
With very few exceptions, applicants must be classified by the Internal Revenue Service as tax-exempt, nonprofit organizations to be eligible for a grant. Government entities, including state, county, and municipal, may apply for funding for innovative projects. We generally will not fund activities that are traditionally the sole responsibility of government. Contact ረኔ ሪይ፣ ፕሮግራም እና የእርዳታ ተባባሪ ፣ ማን ሊያገናኝዎ ይችላል የፕሮግራሙ ሰራተኛ አባል ስለ ሁኔታዎ የበለጠ የተወሰኑ ጥያቄዎችን ለመመለስ ፡፡
10. How does McKnight intend to fund cooperatives for the community wealth grants, since most cooperatives are for-profit entities?
We are interested in exploring new models of shared or cooperative ownership. Typically, our funding will support not-for-profit cooperative efforts. However, we might consider providing some support for for-profit entities that clearly contribute to wealth building within low-wealth communities and/or BIPOC communities. Any support for a for-profit entity would have to align with applicable legal requirements.
11. If I have a fiscal sponsor, can I apply for a grant?
We do consider requests from fiscally sponsored organizations. Organizations, projects, or programs with fiscal sponsors should contact a የፕሮግራሙ ሰራተኛ አባል ከዚህ በፊት submitting a funding inquiry.
The Communities program is committed to working with grantees and partners across Minnesota’s cities and towns. We do not have a set funding breakdown by region of the state. We welcome and encourage proposals from Greater Minnesota and look forward to building funding relationships statewide
13. Can you clarify terminology about funding in Minnesota? Must the organization be based in Minnesota, or can it be outside the state as long as it has programs applicable to Minnesota?
Most of the Communities program’s funding supports Minnesota-based organizations. However, we do review applications from partners outside of Minnesota who are working to support vibrant and equitable communities in our state. We recommend contacting a የፕሮግራሙ ሰራተኛ አባል ሥራዎን ለመወያየት ፡፡
The Communities program funds a combination of requests from new partners and from organizations with historic ties to McKnight.
15. Will you fund intermediary organizations? What are your thoughts regarding funding community work at an intermediary level versus closer to the ground?
McKnight often works with a range of intermediaries with greater proximity to grassroots leadership. Accordingly, we welcome proposals from intermediary organizations. Intermediaries most often leverage additional grantmaking resources, provide grants and other capital, provide technical assistance within a field of work, and participate in and shape the systems that enhance the impact on the ground.
In addition to funding intermediaries, we consider funding requests that come directly from new partners that are closer to the ground and whose work advances our program goals. We encourage nonprofits to apply even if an intermediary in your region or community has already received funding, and we recommend contacting a የፕሮግራሙ ሰራተኛ አባል ሥራዎን ለመወያየት ፡፡
16. How does McKnight view proposals that are relevant to more than one program at McKnight, such as the overlap between the Communities program and the Midwest Climate & Energy program?
We collaborate closely with staff members in other McKnight programs, such as ስነ-ጥበብ እና የምዕራብ ምዕራብ የአየር ንብረት እና ኃይል፣ እና ከብዙ ፕሮግራሞች ጋር የሚያቋርጡ ሀሳቦችን እንቀበላለን። ያግኙን ሀ የፕሮግራሙ ሰራተኛ አባል በተሻለ አቀራረብ ላይ መመሪያ ለማግኘት ፡፡
Though McKnight is committed to increasing its support to BIPOC-led organizations, we continue to fund multicultural, multiracial partners inclusive of all communities who call Minnesota home. In its first year, more than half of our program’s grantees self-identified as BIPOC-led.
18. How do you define BIPOC organization or BIPOC-led?
McKnight defines a “BIPOC-led” organization as one that has at least four of the following six attributes:
- 50% of senior staff are BIPOC identified
- 50% of board members are BIPOC identified
- Organization has BIPOC leadership (executive or senior level)
- Group mission explicitly focuses on BIPOC communities
- Project or initiative is being led by a majority of BIPOC group members
- Organization is implementing DEI initiatives and/or navigating organizational transition for greater equity in program or operations
19. Will you consider proposals that address community equity and climate solutions in tandem?
Yes, we welcome proposals that intersect with multiple McKnight program areas. Please contact a የፕሮግራሙ ሰራተኛ አባል ሥራዎን ለመወያየት እና ጥያቄን ለማስገባት መመሪያ ለማግኘት ፡፡
ትምህርት እና ክልል እና ማህበረሰቦች-በትኩረት የተደገፉ የገንዘብ ድጎማዎች
20. What are the significant differences between Communities and the former Region & Communities program?
ከትኩራታችን እና መመሪያዎቻችን ጋር የተዛመዱ ሶስት ጉልህ ልዩነቶችን እናያለን-
- The new program intentionally focuses statewide.
- ዴሞክራሲያዊ ተሳትፎን ማጠናከር እንደ ቁልፍ ስትራቴጂ እንጨምራለን ፡፡
- በሚኒሶታ የዘር ፣ የባህል እና የኢኮኖሚ ልዩነት በጣም የተጎዱትን ማህበረሰቦች ውስጥ ላሉት አመራሮች ያለንን ቁርጠኝነት እያጠነከርን ነው ፡፡
21. How open is the Foundation to proposals that see education as a lever for advancing economic mobility, democratic participation, or community wealth? Are grants for systems change in K–12 education a good fit?
የቀድሞ የትምህርት ሰጭ አጋሮቻችን እና ባደረጉት እድገት ኩራት ይሰማናል ፡፡ እንደ የገንዘብ ድርጅት እኛ ከባድ ውሳኔዎችን እንድናደርግ ይጠበቅብናል ፣ ከነዚህም መካከል አንደኛው በልጅነት እና በ K-12 ትምህርት ላይ ያተኮረ ትኩረታችንን ማቆም ነበር ፡፡ ሥራዎ ከሌሎች የአዲሱ ፕሮግራማችን መመሪያዎች ጋር የሚጣጣም ሆኖ ከተሰማዎት ሀን እንዲያነጋግሩ እንጋብዝዎታለን የፕሮግራሙ ሰራተኛ አባል.
22. Our organization does not fall squarely within the four funding strategies (economic mobility, community wealth, housing, and democratic participation), but may have a down-the-road impact on all of them due to our education focus. Are you only funding organizations that specifically address one or more of these four areas, or is there flexibility?
Given the volume of funding requests, we prioritize organizations working within our four strategy areas. If you feel your work aligns with these, we encourage you to contact a የፕሮግራሙ ሰራተኛ አባል ሀሳቦችዎን ለመወያየት ፡፡
እኛ እንጋብዝዎታለን ትግበራዎቹን አስቀድመው ይመልከቱ በ McKnight ድርጣቢያ ላይ።
24. Do I need to talk to a program staff member before I apply?
25. What if I’m a current grantee? When should I apply for new funding?
If you are applying for funding for the same purpose as your current grant, we encourage you to apply when your existing grant is up for renewal.
26. How many times can my organization apply in one year? If we are awarded a grant, can we submit another application for a different period?
ለድርጅትዎ የሚሰሩትን ሥራ ለመቀነስ እና ማክክሊት የምንቀበላቸውን በርካታ ጥያቄዎች እንዲያስተዳድር ለማገዝ አንድ ድርጅት በዓመት አንድ ጊዜ ብቻ ገንዘብ መጠየቅ አለበት ፡፡ አልፎ አልፎ ፣ እንደ አዲስ ዕድሎች ወይም ፈታኝ የወቅቱ ክስተቶች ያሉ ሁኔታዎች እንደገና ለማመልከት ምክንያት ሊያቀርቡ ይችላሉ ፡፡ ያግኙን ሀ የፕሮግራሙ ሰራተኛ አባል ለተጨማሪ ጥያቄ በቂ ማረጋገጫ ሊኖር ይችላል ብለው ካመኑ ፡፡
27. Is there a maximum grant request?
There is no maximum request amount. We recommend that you discuss the level of support you require with a የፕሮግራሙ ሰራተኛ አባል ጥያቄ ከማቅረቡ በፊት ፡፡
28. Can grantees have multiple grants with you at one time?
ምንም እንኳን አጠቃላይ ማክበጃዎችን እና አጠቃላይ የአሠራር ድጋፍን የሚሰጥ ወይም ብዙ ፕሮጀክቶችን በአንድ ጊዜ ገንዘብ በአንድ ላይ የሚሰጥ የገንዘብ ድጋፍ በሁለቱም ላይ McKnight እና የገንዘብ ድጋፍ ሰጪ ሠራተኞችን ለመቀነስ የምንመርጥ ቢሆንም ደጋፊዎች በተመሳሳይ ጊዜ በርካታ ድጋፎች ሊኖሯቸው ይችላል ፡፡
29. What is the approximate timeline from submitting an initial inquiry to acceptance of a proposal?
- The team reviews proposals shortly after the initial inquiry deadlines: January 15, April 15, July 15, and October 15.
- Those inquiries that advance to the full proposal stage are notified and asked to submit materials with a deadline typically three to four weeks after the initial inquiry deadline.
- McKnight’s board then reviews grant recommendations at the next scheduled board meeting.
30. What happens between the application and the final consideration by the board? Will there be site visits during that time?
We will assign a የፕሮግራም መኮንን to each invited grant request. That officer will reach out to discuss your proposal.
31. If my initial inquiry does not get selected, will you carry it forward to future rounds?
Inquiries are not automatically carried forward to future rounds. If we received an inquiry that aligned well with our funding guidelines but was beyond our capacity to fund during that round, we would consider advancing the proposal to the next quarter and would communicate directly with the applicant. We will not move forward inquiries that do not align with our guidelines or fit well for other reasons.
32. If not selected to receive a grant, will there be an opportunity to receive 1:1 feedback? What is the follow-up process?
በፍጹም ፡፡ ሙሉ ፕሮፖዛል እንዲያቀርቡ ካልጋበዝን ከ ‹ሀ› ጋር ለመወያየት ጊዜዎን እንኳን ደህና መጡ የቡድን አባል.
Contacting the Communities Team
At this point, there is not a designated staff member for each area. The Communities team as a whole reviews grants across all strategies.
34. If we are new to the McKnight Foundation, who is the best staff person to talk with?
እባክዎ ያነጋግሩ ረኔ ሪይ እና ለእርስዎ ፍላጎት ወደ ትክክለኛው ሰው ትመራዎታለች ፡፡
35. How can I stay updated?
የ ደፋር እና ፍትሃዊ ማህበረሰቦች የቅርብ ጊዜ መረጃዎችን ለማግኘት በጣም ጥሩ ቦታ በ McKnight ድርጣቢያ ላይ ያለው ገጽ ነው ፡፡