The Minnesota Council of Nonprofits hosts the Virginia McKnight Binger Unsung Hero Awards in partnership with the McKnight Foundation every year. Four Minnesotans, two from the Twin Cities metro and two from Greater Minnesota, each receive $10,000 in recognition of the significant impact they have had on the state of Minnesota and its communities.
Nominations closed May 25, 2018. The Minnesota Council of Nonprofits opens the nomination process every April. Contact the council for more information.
- A Virginia McKnight Binger Unsung Hero is an individual who has had a significant impact on the state of Minnesota and its communities. This individual:
- Has played a significant role in creating a positive impact on Minnesota and its communities.
- Has not been widely recognized for his/her work in the past.
- Nominees do not have to be employed at an organization to be eligible, but may be volunteers, board members or service staff of nonprofits.
- Nominees must be Minnesota residents.
- Self-nominations will not be accepted.
- Nominees may not be past Virginia McKnight Binger Unsung Hero Award or Human Services Award recipients.
Recipients will receive:
- $10,000 cash award
- Public recognition at MCN’s Annual Conference